Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Lets Ketchup

Obviously it's been awhile since my last blog, but hey I've been busy, so I'd like to take this time to bring you up to date on some of the latest happenings. It has been so long since my last post that I will just bullet point the highlights and go from there.
  • Church kick-off dinner was a success! On November 3rd I will be cooking for their appreciation dinner as well.
  • The two weddings I was in charge of at work went off without a hitch! Everything looked beautiful, food was executed well, and overall we all had a good night. We still have many details to work on but not bad for our first go at it. One of the major goals I have set for myself is formulating "checklists" of all the questions/ floor plans/invoices/etc. which can be used for future events so that nothing is forgotten and things remain smooth.
  • Taygan's baptism is FINALLY happening ;-) I even designed cute invitations with his picture and everything, way to go me!! (note: cute picture to the right)
A little over a week ago we got hit with our first frost, in preparation of the cold, Joey gathered the remaining veggies from our garden and we now have an abundance of veggies I have to prepare or freeze. Somehow I found the energy every now and then to pull together a decent dinner... here are a few of my favs.
Butternut Risotto (YUMMY!!)
 3lbs. butternut                                1. Heat oven to 450 and roast butternut pieces. I put a little touch of
Chicken broth                                  hunny on mine.
Small onion                                     2. Get your broth simmering on the back burner and find a nice
Butter                                               deep skillet for your risotto.
1.5 c. Arborio rice                           3. Cook onion in butter till soft then add garlic, cumin, and rice. Let
minced garlic                                   cook for 4 minutes.         
1/2 cumin                                         4. Stir in 1/2c. of broth and cook on medium/high heat stirring until
Grated Parmesan cheese                  all the liquid is absorbed. Keep adding 1/2c.  broth until rice
sage                                                  becomes creamy, yet still al dente. ( like a thick soup)
salt & pepper                                    5. Stir in Butternut squash, parm cheese and sage. Finish with Salt. I also added some frozen green peas to add a little color.
I served our risotto right over top some thick slices of butternut.... This dish was REALLY good.  
* Note: risotto takes TIME and PATIENCE.  I actually made mine to relax, joe was annoying me heheh so I stress relived by cooking, risotto non-the-less, I find it very soothing. And NO risotto isn't HARD, so try it, you will totally impress people and can dress up any boring dinner.

Classic Hummus 
I've been searching for a tahini free hummus recipe for a little bit now, but they never seem to hit the spot. However, I have finally mastered a basic hummus recipe which I couldn't be happier about because I could live off the stuff.
1 can chickpeas 
1 garlic clove
juice of one lemon ( start with half and add more if you think it needs more)
1/4c. good olive oil (sometimes you need a little more, I sometimes add a few tsp. of the chickpea juice too, depends on the consistency.) 
Crushed red pepper flakes
Salt

Just add all ingredients into the food processor and TA-DA Hummus..... GOOD hummus!
 
                                                       

1 comment:

  1. Ummm... patienCE.

    /grammar and spelling nazi.

    Also, I've got a huge thing of risotto in the cabinet. You've inspired me to actually try and cook it.

    ReplyDelete